Do you REALLY know what’s in your tap water? Now you can find out online.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) compiled 28 million records from about 50,000 water utilities across all 50 states. That covers about 280 million people.
Dozens of contaminants in your water are considered perfectly legal.
Here’s some interesting information they found:
- 40,000 (81%) water systems with contaminants linked to cancer
- 250 million (77%) people drinking Hexvalent Chromium (the Erin Brokovich chemical)
- 7 million people drinking unsafe amounts of Nitrate from fertilizer
- 19,000 water systems with unsafe amounts of Lead (like in Flint, Michigan)
- More than 160 contaminants not even listed by the Federal government as dangerous
Why isn’t the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) doing anything about this? Good question.
Certainly, we need tighter controls over water quality. That’s a fact. EWG is working on it by making this information public and organizing a grassroots campaign.
In the meantime, you can protect your family from unhealthy water.
The Good News
The good news is that you can use a filter to remove most of these contaminants.
The EWG Tap Water Database allows you to find out what your water system has in it.
For example, my water utility has six contaminants that are above health guidelines:
- Arsenic (cancer)
- Chlorate (harmful to the thyroid)
- Hexvalent chromium (cancer)
- Radiological contaminants (cancer)
- Strontium (cancer) –a recent toxic and essential mineral test showed my levels of strontium were very high!
- Total Trihalomethanes (TTHM) (cancer)
That’s some scary stuff.
Even Better News
And even better, their database will tell you what type of filtration system will remove those chemicals from your water.
They explain in layman’s terms the different types of filtration technology (carbon block, reverse osmosis, etc) and which type is best for various contaminants.
They offer brand names, models and prices of water filters. You decide what type of filtration you want (counter top, plumbed in, pitcher, etc.) and which filter technology you prefer (reverse osmosis, carbon block, etc.).
There are several models of water filters recommended to remove the specific contaminants found in your tap water.
If you can’t afford to filter and plumb the whole house (which would be the ideal scenario), you can choose to install a filter on your kitchen sink and on your showers.
A shower filter is a must have.
Your skin is the largest organ in the body and absorbs chemicals into the blood stream even faster than your digestion system.
Think about it, that’s why some drugs are applied as a patch or a transdermal cream (like many hormone medications).
I selected a “Separate Tap” filtration system as the most convenient system for my needs. The EWG Tap Water Database suggested nearly a hundred filter models ranging in price from $32.99 and up. Shower filters ranged from $22.99 up to $104.99.
That’s pretty affordable!
Why Not Just Drink Bottled Water?
“Bottled water isn’t the solution – not for your pocketbook, not for your health and certainly not for our planet. Your best option for cleaner, healthier drinking water on the go is filtered tap water and a reusable glass or stainless steel container,” says EWG.
Here are 5 reasons why you should skip bottled water:
- Cost–you’re paying about 2,000 times more for bottled water than for tap water, according to figures from the EPA.
- Quality–EWG found all sorts of nasty stuff in popular brands of bottled water – disinfection byproducts, industrial chemicals, prescription drugs and even bacteria. The bottled water industry can hide the results of its testing, unlike your local water utility.
- The Bottle–PET plastics, the kind used to make plastic water bottles and marked with a “1” code on the bottom, can contain dozens of chemical additives, manufacturing impurities and breakdown byproducts.
- Trash–68 percent of water bottles are not recycled and left to clog landfills, harm wildlife and pollute waterways.
- Energy–it takes up to 2,000 times more energy to produce bottled water than tap water.
Get a reusable glass or stainless steel bottle, and fill it with filtered tap water!
We have relied on the Environmental Working Group for many years to keep us healthy with ratings of products we use to clean our homes, skincare products we lavish on our bodies and even the food we eat. They are my go-to for researching ingredients and healthy products.
EWG puts science and research on the forefront.
Type in your zipcode at the EWG Tap Water Database and find out what’s in your tap water.
If you would like more great tips for healthy living, sign up for my blog posts to be sent to your email, just once per week.
Joli Tripp and Mind Blowing Wellness are not medical doctors nor licensed medical professionals. No comment or recommendation should be construed as being a medical diagnosis. If you suffer from a medical or pathological condition, you should consult an appropriate healthcare provider.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
Mind Blowing Wellness is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Mind Blowing Wellness is also an affiliate for Thrive Market receiving a small commission for new memberships.