Ever had a urinary tract infection? It’s pretty miserable, right?
Pain, burning, even bloody urine–not a great way to live.
You typically head to the doctor and take an antibiotic that may or may not resolve the problem.
I was plagued by a UTI infection a while back and my integrative medicine doctor, Dr. Leigh Erin Connealy, told me about an alternative therapy that really did the trick.
I share her protocol with you now and hope it saves you the agony of a urinary tract infection.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- SSKI (Saturated Solution of Potassium Iodide)–I purchased the Green Medicine brand called Bernard’s Solution. Costs about $35 plus shipping. It contains 25 mg Iodine and 19 mg of Potassium Iodide per drop, equivalent to 12,650% of the recommended daily allowance. It is strong!
- D-Mannose capsules–available from any health food store and many drugstores. Usually 500 mg per capsule. Be sure to check the one you buy to be sure the dose is equivalent.
Potassium Iodide is very effective against infections, both bacterial and viral.
You’ll want to read the article by Dr. Jonathan V. Wright about its many uses (acne, herpes, bronchial infections, water purification, etc.).
One dose is enough to kill all the bacteria in the bladder. Remember that more is NOT better with this high content of iodide.
There are 3 warnings:
- It will stain your clothing, so be careful when using it.
- SSKI can cause a skin rash for some people when used topically.
- It can cause thyroid suppression if too much is used.
Heed the warnings and use SSKI wisely.
D-Mannose is a sweet tasting and very safe simple sugar. It is not metabolized by our bodies.
It is capable of coating E-coli bacteria which is the cause of over 90% of bladder infections in women.
Coating the bacteria makes it incapable of sticking to the bladder wall. When you urinate, the bacteria is washed away.
Taking D-Mannose alone (without the SSKI) can be a very effective treatment method.
To find out more about D-Mannose, check out Chris Kresser’s article about it and alternative methods for UTIs.
- Take 10 drops of SSKI mixed in at least 8 oz of fluid every 8 hours for 24 hours. It has a metallic taste and will leave a nasty metallic taste in your mouth, but only lasts for about a day.
- Take three D-Mannose capsules every 2 hours the first day.
- Take three D-Mannose capsules every 3 hours the second day.
- Take three D-Mannose capsules every 4 hours the third day.
The urinary tract infection should be gone in 24-48 hours. If not or if you experience any adverse effects, please contact your healthcare provider immediately.
For me, my symptoms stopped within 24 hours which was much quicker than with an antibiotic. Not to mention, this method is quite natural and I like that idea.
If you would like more great tips for healthy living, sign up for my blog posts to be sent to your email, just once per week.
Joli Tripp and Mind Blowing Wellness are not medical doctors nor licensed medical professionals. No comment or recommendation should be construed as being a medical diagnosis. If you suffer from a medical or pathological condition, you should consult an appropriate healthcare provider.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
Mind Blowing Wellness is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Mind Blowing Wellness is also an affiliate for Thrive Market receiving a small commission for new memberships.