Ready to ditch over-the-counter heartburn medication and avoid the burn? You can taper off acid blocker medication successfully by following this three step program.
So now you know what REALLY causes heartburn and why acid blocking medications are truly detrimental to your health. It is important to understand that tamping down acid production does not solve the problem.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are currently taking prescription medication to address acid reflux or GERD, please consult with your prescribing physician regarding your personal decision to discontinue use prior to doing so.
PLEASE BE AWARE the process of weaning off over-the-counter (OTC) acid reflux medication can feel challenging as your body works to re-calibrate a suppressed digestive system.
You may experience some occasional discomfort during your transition off OTC proton pump inhibitors (PPI). This weaning process is recommended only for your comfort; you may actually safely immediately stop the use of OTC PPIs without concern.
Taper off Acid Blocker Method
STEP 1 – Weaning-off [1-2 weeks]
- Begin by taking your regular dose of OTC PPI medication every other day for 1-2 weeks as your symptom level allows. If symptoms exacerbate beyond a tolerable level, try taking a ½ dose daily for a few days, then wean back to a reduced dose every other day.
Avoid refined carbohydrates, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, excessive amounts of raw veggies, capsaicin and other hot pepper byproducts, and tannins in black teas. Avoid anything that you know triggers your symptoms.
- While weaning, use stomach healing nutrients daily as recommended by your healthcare practitioner (for example: Vit. A, cabbage juice/Vit. U, Vit. D, aloe vera, bone broths, chlorophylls, deglycerized licorice, L-glutamine, Jerusalem artichoke, milk thistle, probiotics, slippery elm, marshmallow root). Contact me for brand recommendations.
In addition, raw apple cider vinegar (1-2 Tbs. in 4 oz. room temperature water) at the beginning of each meal is recommended to promote gastric enzyme activity.
- On the OFF days from taking OTC PPI medication, take a Hydrochloric Acid/Enzyme supplement (1-3 tablets) with each meal (150 mg of Betaine/HCL with Pepsin), as well as the stomach healing nutrients. Contact me for brand recommendations.
If intolerable acid reflux occurs, eat a few more bites of a protein food, or drink a small amount of baking soda in water (1 tsp. baking soda in 4 oz. room temp. water) or plain seltzer water to calm your stomach.
Of course this will alkalize your digestive juice which is a bit of a back-step, so only do this when absolutely necessary to temporarily relieve discomfort.
STEP 2 – Discontinuing OTC acid reflux medications [1 week]
- When you can tolerate occasional symptoms on the OFF days, the next step is to go completely off the OTC acid blocker and begin replenishing your digestive juices via a low dose Hydrochloric Acid supplement, typically inclusive of enzymes as well.
- Use 3-4 tablets of Hydrochloric Acid/Enzyme supplement (150 mg of Betaine/HCL with Pepsin) in the middle of the meal and continue use of recommended stomach healing nutrients as well.
- If reflux symptoms such as burping, belching, or burning sensation still present themselves after a meal, either use 1-2 additional tablets of Hydrochloric Acid/Enzyme Supplement, or use the Raw Apple Cider Vinegar in water solution to promote production of more gastric juices naturally.
- If these symptoms persist, you may need a greater amount of supplemental acid and should discuss the Hydrochloric (HCL) Acid Dosage Challenge* with your healthcare practitioner. You can also experiment with the timing of your supplementation, taking your digestive aids earlier in the meal may prove helpful.
STEP 3 – *Hydrochloric Acid Supplement Recommended Dosage Challenge
After one week of low dose hydrochloric acid/enzyme supplementation, employ the use of the Hydrochloric (HCL) Acid Dosage Challenge*. This challenge will help you determine the appropriate dose of hydrochloric acid supplement to be taken with each meal.
Contact me for brand recommendations.
Each person’s comfortable transition time varies, and it may take 4-8 weeks to fully wean off the medication. However, this is a healing time for the digestive system’s natural process, and you will enjoy enhanced digestion and greater health as a result.
If you are consistent in your approach, diligent with your dietary and lifestyle changes, and patient with yourself and the occasional symptoms you may experience, your transition will be smoother and take much less time.
If you would like more great tips for healthy living, sign up for my blog posts to be sent to your email, just once per week.
Joli Tripp and Mind Blowing Wellness are not medical doctors nor licensed medical professionals. No comment or recommendation should be construed as being a medical diagnosis. If you suffer from a medical or pathological condition, you should consult an appropriate healthcare provider.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
Mind Blowing Wellness is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Mind Blowing Wellness is also an affiliate for Thrive Market receiving a small commission for new memberships.
Why Stomach Acid Is Good For You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux & GERD,. by Jonathan V. Wright, MD and Lane Lenard, Ph.D.