First of all, what is Candida?
Candida is a fungus that serves as a food for our body’s friendly bacteria. When our friendly bacteria can no longer flourish due to environmental disturbances (such as medications, antibiotics, lack of exercise, adrenal fatigue, heavy metal toxicity, injured tissue, poor diet, chemical exposure, elevated blood sugar levels, etc.), it dies off.
At that point, candida can grow out of control. It turns it into a parasite of sorts which can cause all kinds of side effects.
For more information on Candida, check out this WebMD article.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
- Inability to focus, Poor memory, Brain fog, Irritability, Anger, Dizziness, Depression, Crying spells, Panic attacks, Low libido, Persistent extreme fatigue, Hyperactivity, Cravings for sweets and alcohol, Insomnia, Poor coordination
- Acid reflux, Bloating, Flatulence, Nausea, Diarrhea, Constipation, Stomach cramps, Indigestion, Burping after meals, Mucus in stool, Hemorrhoids
- Acne, Cysts, Hives, Night sweats, Psoriasis, Eczema, Dermatitis, Fungal infections of the nails & skin, Athlete’s foot, Body odor
- Thrush (white coating on tongue), Swollen lower lip, Halitosis, Metallic taste in mouth, Bad breath, Canker sores, Bleeding gums, Cracked tongue
- Persistent cough, Mucus in throat, Sore throat, Sinus congestion, Chronic post-nasal drip, Flu-like symptoms, Hay fever symptoms, Sinusitis, Asthma
- Eye pain, Itchy eyes, Sensitivity to light, Blurred vision, Bags under eyes, Ringing in the ears, Ear infections
- Recurring yeast infections, Recurring UTI’s (urinary tract infections), Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder), PMS & menstrual irregularities, Fungal rash
- Frequent colds and flu, Allergies, Sensitivities to food, fragrances and chemicals
- Inability to lose weight, Water retention, Weight loss
- Headaches, Heart palpitations, Chronic body pain and/or joint pains, Muscle aches and stiffness
These could be symptoms of other issues, certainly, but could also be candida. There are tests for candida that can be done at home or in a doctor’s office.
Candida overgrowth can be controlled by a proper diet and lifestyle. It is best tackled in these 5 steps:
Alter your Diet during a Detox Cleanse
For best results during your cleanse, you will want to follow a few simple dietary changes:
- Avoid sugar (and anything that breaks down into sugar) such as potatoes, rice, pasta, flour, bread, baked goods, processed food, junk food, etc.
- Eat proteins (fish and meat) in limited quantities (no processed meats like bacon, salami, bologna, etc.) and choose organic eggs.
- Eat good carbs like leafy vegetables, fruits, low-carb grains such as quinoa and oat bran.
- Limit starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, winter squashes, beets, peas, parsnips and all beans except green beans.
- Eat good fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, nuts (not peanuts) and seeds.
- No artificial sweeteners except Stevia (not the Reb-A version of Stevia).
- Drink lots of water with lemon or grapefruit essential oil (4-6 drops per glass). Up your water intake to 80% of your weight in ounces of water.
- Avoid caffeine, sodas, and coffee.
- Eat fermented, cultured foods such as plain yogurt and Kefir (no sugar added).
- Try to eat 80% of your food raw or fresh and 20% cooked.
- Take vitamins/minerals and essential fatty acids.
And a few lifestyle changes:
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Avoid antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers.
- Use natural household cleaning products and skin care products.
- Reduce stress.
When Candida yeast cells are rapidly killed during this cleansing process, a die-off (or Herxheimer reaction) occurs and metabolic by-products are released into the body.
The Candida yeast cells actually release 79 different toxins when they die, including ethanol and acetaldehyde.
Here is a list of some of the symptoms you might experience during a die-off (otherwise known as a Herxheimer reaction).
- Headache, fatigue, dizziness
- Swollen glands
- Bloating, gas, constipation or diarrhea
- Increased joint or muscle pain
- Elevated heart rate
- Chills, cold feeling in your extremities
- Body itchiness, hives or rashes
- Skin breakouts
- Recurring vaginal, prostate and sinus infections
To counteract these symptoms you may consider these actions:
- Cut back or temporarily discontinue anti-fungal supplements.
- Reduce your dosage of probiotics.
- Increase water intake to flush out the toxins faster.
- Take your supplements with food.
- Slow down and rest as much as possible.
The point when the die-off symptoms kick in is usually the time when many people prematurely abandon their Candida diet, so it is important to be prepared.
For more in-depth information about candida and how to control it, see Lisa Richards’ website The Candida Diet.
Here’s your simple change for the day: Implement dietary changes to control the overgrowth of candida.
If you would like more great tips for healthy living, sign up for my blog posts to be sent to your email, just 3 times per week.
Simple Changes Healthy Results is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Simple Changes Healthy Results is also an affiliate for Thrive Market receiving a small commission for new memberships.